Sunday 13 May 2012

Why Not Try Smoking?

Yes, it won't stunt your growth


There's a setting-up guide here, and a recipe to tempt you here.


Me?  I've been very unadventurous.   


Chicken :  I smoked some chicken breasts or chicken thighs for half an hour (however long the handfull of oak shavings smoke for.)


The chicken emerged.... curiously untransformed. A slightly darker colour, but it certainly not cooked. (Not a surprise really - it is cold smoking.)  However, cooked simply and slowly in a stove-top casserole, the smell told me that the smoking had an effect, and the surface showed the same pattern as the rack the chicken lay on.  The taste - divine. Not the strong, chemical flavour of smokey bacon / barbeque sauce, but a definite smoky tone.


Cheese : I've also tried smoking cheese, with reasonable results.  Fingers of cheddar on a tin foil base - they had slightly melted, but again had an interesting flavour.


Trout : Well, I was going to smoke some trout...but Reggie (my cat) managed to purloin the fillets.     Smoked cat anyone?




Technical Note : I've been using some oak sawdust/shavings bought in bulk on eBay. Either on a base of burning newspapers (temperamental) or in a tray atop a gas ring (HSE risk). Might even try using an electric skillet as an experiment.


Hope this is of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment